Bees for Everyone
In 2011 the Bumblebee Conservation Trust (BBCT) was delighted to be granted £340,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) towards the delivery of our three-year Bees for Everyone (BfE) project. The project has been hugely successful and has acted as a spring board for BBCT.
At the heart of BfE were three fundamental principles – learning, engagement and action - and these are reflected in the project's achievements:
- We worked with farmers and land managers to create and restore 3,078 hectares of high quality bumblebee habitat. Our project target was just 1,200 hectares.
- We engaged with over 40,000 people face to face at over 400 staff-led events, helping to spread the bumblebee message far and wide. This is more than double our target.
- We recruited over 500 volunteers who supported us at over 500 events and we delivered 14 volunteer training days to support these individuals across the UK.
- During the project nearly 600,000 people visited our new website. This equates to over 4 million page views!
- By the end of the project, over 28,000 people had subscribed to stay up to date with bumblebee news via our free monthly e-newsletter.
- Over 25,000 people had liked our Facebook page and over 21,000 followed us on Twitter, helping us to reach a wider audience with our message.
- Over 44,500 people had used our Bee kind tool to rate and enhance the bee-friendliness of their gardens.
For a more in depth review of the Bees for Everyone project, click on the links below to read our evaluation report and case studies.
Case study 1 - Christ's Hospital School - wildflower meadow creation within school grounds.
Case study 2 - Carymoor Environmental Centre - bumblebee habitat creation on a landfill site.
Case study 3 - Frogmary Green Farm - providing bumblebee habitat on farmland.
Case study 4 - Burns Pet Nutrition - managing a traditional hay meadow.
Case study 5 - Frankland Fields - providing bumblebee habitat on a nature reserve.
Case study 6 - Thames Water - improving bumblebee habitat around reservoirs and water treatment facilities.