Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Epsom, Surrey - Help needed moving bumbles

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

(My first post here so please forgive if in the wrong area)

I organise a local bee group in Somerset and have been contacted by someone in Epson who needs help moving a nest of bumbles that have set up in a last year’s wasp nest in her loft as builders are coming to insulate.

She is a bee-supporter so it would be good to help her but she is not a beek’ so has no protective gear.

The move sounds relatively easy to do and I have experience of similar moves so I can advise anyone with a bee suit who is willing to help out. If you think you can help please email me - YABeeP[at]gmail[dot]com - for details and we can discuss.

thanks

Robin
http://yabeep.blogspot.co.uk/

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-05-17

PM

Thanks Robin. I’m sure that there will be many visitors who are keen to learn from your experiences.

This is a new forum - it will take a little bit of time for supporters to get used to it etc. We may well add a specific forum area on moving nests - this would be useful I feel. I’ll add it to someone else’s to-do list!

Ben

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

I suggest that the lady with the bees tries contacting her local Beekeepers Association and asking to be put in contact with her local beekeeper(s).
A growing number of beekeepers have an interest in the non-honeybee bees.
If she’s stuck she could start by checking the BBKA Area Associations list at the BBKA website, then make contact with the local association - probably at the Swarm Officer contact point.

I would imagine that the bees are likely to be B. hypnorum, the Tree Bumblebee, which quite commonly chooses to set up home at roof level, but I’ve not previously heard of them occupying an old wasp nest.  Hypnorum can be defensive, so a bee-suit and gloves would be essential.  It would help if the person doing the collecting worked in the dark, but with with red light (eg. Cycle Rear Light) since under these conditions the beekeeper could see, but the bumblebees would not be able to see / have minimal vision.  Also, try not to breathe on the bees, since this would alert them to what was going on.

Good luck with the search !

Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I recently was called upon to rescue a wild bumblebees nest and safely and successfully re located them to my garden. I am making a video of it….soon to be posted!

Rank

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Here is the video and diary…..              http://bit.ly/SO37Zn