Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Which camera?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

In view of the Trust’s request for digital photographs of BBs under the heading “What bee did you see?” I got to thinking about my middle aged camera.  At the moment I use a digital Olympus which gives excellent results but is a little sluggish for taking shots of those fast moving BBs.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has good experience of a camera they feel they could recommend.  Or perhaps someone has some pointers before a go out and spend ?hundred pounds.

I have been thinking of upgrading my camera for some time but have delayed as I don’t really know what I want/need.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Hi Sparrow, i have an amazing camera which i would recommend to everyone. It is a Fujifilm Finepix S5800 . It is a fixed lens camera but has all the settings you need including super macro at a distance of 1cm!!! Excellent for close work and distance, great quality images and no messing around with changing lenses etc.

I have used mine for 5 years and wouldn’t change it for the world. I have an account on Flickr.com a photo sharing website, under the name Stormlover2007 have a look at some of my shots and see what you think.

Good luck with your search.

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you for your recommendation alibumble.  I am researching various options and will certainly add this to my list.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

I’ve recently bought a Casio EXILIM EX-ZR10 and am very impressed so far.
It is a digital compact zoom camera with some useful and different capabilities.
Ex M&S Online at £129 plus delivery & memory card = £140 total.
I chose it because it does high definition videos and slow-motion videos too and should be a great tool to use for my BB photography - and cover things that my Nikon SLR can’t do.
And it is tiny compared to the SLR !!

Clive

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you Clive, I will take a look at this.

I see that you and alibumble are “Worker Bees” whereas I and many others are “Newbie”.  I am most certainly a Newbie but are you Worker Bees because you are “officials” of the Trust?

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

No Sparrow, i think your title changes as you post more posts. I was a newbie last week grin

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi Sparrow,

I wish I could write concisely like you, but it always comes out complex, as here !

I was a Newbie too, then one day it changed status to Worker, all on it’s own. 
I guess this was because I’d managed to assemble so many ‘posts’ (perhaps I had too much to say?).

I don’t know about alibumble, but I’m a committed and involved ordinary member of BBCT, not an Official !

So I regard myself as an ordinary BBCT member, but I’m one who on occasions rings the office and talks with the “BBCT Staff” about matters that interest me.  In this way I’ve got to “telephone know” several of the Trust’s staff over recent years.

Ever since I joined BBCT, I have been and do campaign that there should be good and productive relation between BBCT and Beekeepers, which to me means BBKA and local BK Associations .
(But only a proportion of beekeepers are interested in bumblebees - although any beekeeper’s bee handling confidence would be useful with bumbles too !)

I was a committee member of my BKA for many years, and chairman for a while, but eventually retired from the committee - and have really enjoyed that change in status, which has allowed me to concentrate more on bumblebees !

Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

I’ve had both a Fuji Finepix and a Casio Exilim and can also recommend them both. At the moment I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7.

I generally get reconditioned or second hand ones to cut the cost slightly

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you Kate for your suggestions.

Alibumble - I don’t understand how the “Total Posts” works.  I have been on “Total Posts: 18” for ages.

Clive - Thank you for your reply.  I suppose I am able to keep my posts concise as I always seem to be asking questions whereas you have much knowledge to impart - please keep them coming as I find your posts very informative.

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

I am sorry Sparrow, i don’t know how it works either. I was just making an assumption grin

RankRank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2012-07-17

PM

I’ve been thinking about this recently too - I would say that the things I would look for if I was replacing my camera would be:

1) Focus speed - you need something that can focus on the bee before she flies off
2) Shutter speed - similar to the above, the ability to focus is worthless if the shutter takes an age to snap the shot. As an example, when I try bee pictures from my mobile phone, I usually end up with an out of focus shot of the bee’s leg as she’s already flown off before the camera takes the picture
3) Macro photography ability - maybe not 1:1 but similar capacity for taking pictures of the very small, preferably from reasonably far away - 50cm would be useful
4) GPS - seems like a bit of a luxury, I know, but again your smartphone will already have the ability to tag a photograph with a location as you take the picture. This then makes it easier for people like BeeWatch to get accurate bee/location data

Any other things I’ve missed?