Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Volunteering.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Hello everyone.

I have just come from my first event as a BCT volunteer and it was fantastic!

I contacted my local garden centre and asked if we could hold an exhibit to raise awareness of the plight of our beautiful bumblebees. They were very kind and allowed us to go there today. BCT provided leaflets and information which we handed out to people and lots of nice chats with people who were very interested in our bumble’s.

We had quite a few people who were concerned that they had bumblebees nesting in their lofts. We reassured them they wouldn’t cause any damage and were not aggressive and most were happy to leave them knowing that.

One lady was quoted £120.00 to remove a tree bumblebee nest!!!!

I was surprised by the number of people who knew that bumble’s were not aggressive and even a few young people who were not afraid of them. It’s a good sign.

It was a most enjoyable day and i hope if you have a few hours to spare, you might consider doing something similar. It is a very rewarding experience and you are helping our bumble’s in the process.

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-06-03

PM

Well done on you Alibumble! If I wasn’t so shy, I’d have a go too.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Thanks Mandy. I am painfully shy and suffer from social phobia, not confident with people face to face but my passion for bumble’s made me do it and i really enjoyed it.

So be brave, go with someone who will support you. All the people were nice which helped a lot!