Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Which rose?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

I want to plant a BB friendly rose in my small garden.  I could plant this to grow up a silver birch tree so I suppose a climber or rambler (not too vigorous) would be the answer. 

This must of course be single flowered and scented - any ideas or suggestions?

Sparrow - Sue

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-12-11

PM

Here’s a photo:)

Image Attachments

1-room_for_two.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Joined 2012-12-11

PM

Sparrow - 11 December 2012 10:32 AM

I want to plant a BB friendly rose in my small garden.  I could plant this to grow up a silver birch tree so I suppose a climber or rambler (not too vigorous) would be the answer. 

This must of course be single flowered and scented - any ideas or suggestions?

Sparrow - Sue

The rose is ‘Madame Isaac Pereire’ and I grow it on a stone wall facing south-east.  It attracts masses of bumble bees and is highly perfumed.  I am not sure about growing a rose under a tree as they seem to flower best in sunny positions.

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you labourie for this suggestion which is very interesting as this rose is very double.  I had thought I needed to select a single flowered one but as you say Madame Isaac Pereire attracts masses of BBs and is scented it is obviously well worth consideration. 

As for growing a rose up a tree this is a very common practice provided the rose is not planted too close to the tree.  I have no fences or walls I can use so “up a tree” is my only choice.  Roses up old apple trees is a wonderful combination.

Sparrow - Sue

Rank

Joined 2012-12-11

PM

I have other perfumed roses in the garden but this is the only one that the bumbles really go for.  I agree with you on the positioning of the rose, I was imagining a little rose under a big tree!

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you, I think this has to be the one I go for.  It looks beautiful too.

Sparrow - Sue

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Sparrow - 12 December 2012 12:04 PM

I had thought I needed to select a single flowered one but as you say Madame Isaac Pereire attracts masses of BBs and is scented it is obviously well worth consideration. 

Sparrow - Sue

In general, single flowers are the best for bumbleees. However, when it comes to roses, many of the multiple-flowered varieties are fine - so long as the petals do not bunch tightly and cover the centre of the flower, then bees can use it.

I find the climbing roses most useful because they flower more prolifically and over a longer time period. I would recommend having a look at the label of the rose when you are buying it - if you can see the yellow centre of the flower in the photo of it, then it’s most probably going to be useful for bees.

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you Anthony, good food for thought there.  I will also take a look at Shrub Roses as they can be pruned/trained to act like climbers.  Oh! for a larger garden.

Sparrow - Sue

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-01-30

PM

Hi all,

I have got this climbing rose on a trellis in my garden, and it also trails over into a crab apple tree - Francis E Lester. It is a lovely natural rose with a sweet scent and lots of easily accessible pollen which attracts in bees including bumblebees. It grows very well and has bright red hips in the autumn which are good for the birds.

https://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Showrose.asp?Showr=366

Problem is there are too many lovely roses to choose from !

Image Attachments

FRANCISELESTERNEW_jpg.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Thank you Jo.  I agree this is a beautiful rose and one I have grown before and perfect for what I want to achieve.  Why did I not think of it?  It would be good to grow it again and would be perfect growing up my silver birch tree.  Thank you. 

Sparrow - Sue