Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Missing Bumble’s.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Has anyone seen any Bombus lapidarius , red-tailed bumble workers or Queens??

I live in Swindon and i haven’t seen one yet. I know we’ve had awful weather this year but wondered if they could still appear even though it is later than usual.

Please say if you have seen any in your area, thanks all.

RankRank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Hi Alibumble,

Yes… 2 Queens in the garden just the other day feeding on the chives.

But what I haven’t seen so far this year is the Common Carder, B Pascuorum, last year it was everywhere !
We live in Bradford Abbas, Dorset, and in general the bee numbers are very much down in our garden this year.

Peter

Image Attachments

06_17_12_B_Lap_Q_compressed.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Hi Peter, glad you have some red-tailed bees. We seemed to have a lot of common carder’s this year.

Yes numbers are certainly down.

Thanks for the photo and reply.

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-06-03

PM

I’m in East Devon & have been visited by several red tailed bb’s, mostly queens. Had a fair few buff tailed queens too this year.

Image Attachments

RT_Queen.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

So glad there are some about. Still no sign of any here in Swindon :-(

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

There have been a few queens around here this spring.  (South Bucks.)  I saw a queen last Sunday and a my first worker of the year a few days previously.

It has been a dreadful and late spring around here, and probably more widely. 
I suspect that with this species we are still in the quiescent period after nests have been established, but before (any/many) workers are about.

Three or four years ago there was a distinct lack of B. lapidarius in my area, but plenty in the Chalk Downland areas a few miles away.  But the following year it was abundant everywhere, so I suspect that we gained from Queen Dispersal flights bringing in queens from round and about that second spring.

Clive

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Hooray!!! I have seen my first red-tailed bumble today!!!! Poor things, hatching out in gale force winds.