Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Best bee plants for a container?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

I’d like to plant up a container of bee friendly plants for a Christmas /housewarming present for my sister and struggling to limit my choice! Any suggestions on the best choice very welcome. She has a basement terrace but south facing so hoping this idea will work. Thank you!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Hi Verdley Bee

Could you give a little more info, - for example the size of the container will obviously have a bearing on any reply.  Lots of ideas spring to mind.

Sparrow - Sue

Rank

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your speedy reply - I haven’t bought one yet but I was thinking of a round one with maximum circumference of 30cm if that’s a useful gauge?

Look forward to your ideas, thank you!

Alex

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2012-05-31

PM

Hello

what a lovely idea for a present.
I don’t know if you have seen Anthony’s blog but he wrote a great post about how to plant up a container with spring bulbs.
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/news/anthonys-blog/bulb-planting/

But that won’t be flowering in time for christmas so i’m not sure how suitable that is for a present.

My botanical knowledge is something I’m working on so I look forward to hearing other suggestions,

regards, elaine

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Hi Alex

Did you perhaps intend to say 30cms diameter? 

I agree with Elaine’s suggestion of spring flowering bulbs.  As Elaine rightly says they will not be in flower for Christmas you could think about planting something else on top of the bulbs - a heather would be a good idea - darlyensis or carnea which are winter/spring flowering but would give immediate interest.  The bulbs would quite happily grow through the heather.

I like a mixture of bulbs - single flowered daffodils, single tulips, hyacinths or crocus.  Bulbs are quite happy planted in pots in layers. 

You could also think about aubretia at the edge of the pot to hang down.  Your friend could, in the spring, pop in some nasturshum seeds too.

Hope that helps.

Sparrow - Sue

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

All of those are good suggestions, Sparrow - I tend to go for a mix of bulbs, topped with heather for a bit of interest when the bulbs aren’t flowering. If you do make this, send us some photos so we can all see how you did.

Thanks,

Anthony,
BBCT Outreach Officer

Rank

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Thanks everyone (and yes I meant diameter!) I decided on some spring-summer flowers and hope this idea works. I chose betony, lavender, small scabious, pasque flower, spiked speedwell, ivy leaved toadflax and wild thyme. I’ll report back on how it goes and get a photo.

Best wishes,

Alex

Rank

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

PS I’m going to do the nasturtium and aubretia for my garden thanks smile