Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

How to cope with neonicotinoid pesticides?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

My back garden backs onto several agricultural fields and I am rather concerned that the next crop will be oil seed rape which will be sprayed with neonicotinoid pesticides.  The pattern over the last few years seems to be either rape or wheat - this year it is wheat.

My back garden is 16 feet wide by 90 feet long and faces north with the 18 feet nearest the house always in shade.  I of course realise that this area is no match for probably 7 fields of sprayed oil seed rape.

Is there anything I can do?  I am asking now as there are approximately 10 months until the rape will be in flower again.  I already have a fairly good selection of bee friendly plants but would welcome any suggestions about planting or anything else I can do.  I know whatever I do will have little impact but at least I will feel I am doing something. 

What do you think about having several of the bee feeders mentioned by Kate in another thread?  I have ordered one but would be willing to have more. 

Unfortunately the field margins are practically useless as they comprise coarse grasses and a few stinging nettles.

I look forward to suggestions.