Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Shrubs with Winter interest and food for Early Queens

RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

Hello I’m trying to help a friend choose a shrub for her garden, she would like a wildlife friendly plant and one that will help the early Queens and have some interest over the winter months

Any ideas please?.......................Many Thanks smile

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-05-30

PM

How about Christmas Rose (helleborus niger )?
Flowers from December to March !

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Winter flowering Heathers are good food for queens and are colourful too grin

RankRank

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

Thanks marym and alibumble, great suggestions there smile

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-08-21

PM

You could try Mahonia. It comes in many varieties and they flower at different times from autumn through the winter to spring I believe.
vicbee

RankRank

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

Thankyou Vicbee…..I’m passing all these suggestions on smile

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-08-21

PM

I have been pondering your interesting question and have come up with a few more suggestions:
spring crocus, spring anemone, daphne (has many species), Witch Hazel, viburnum (also with many species).

Listing these is the easy bit!
Making sure that any purchase you make is of a plant that is not a hybrid will need some research.
Some plants from growers/garden centres are hybrids and do not contain pollen/nectar for bees to forage on.

Good luck!

vicbee

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Paula,
I have scattered pots containing small Salix shrubs (trad Pussy Willow) around the garden. The BBs really love all the yellow pollen that is available to them early inthe year. As it is quite a boring shrub for the rest of the year, the pots are placed out of the way till next January and Feb.Pots are also a good idea to prevent salix spreading its roots too far;....they are very hungry for water and wont sniff at a nice underground water pipe :o)
They are all over the garden centres.
Hope this helps.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-12-11

PM

I have a bush of winter flowering honeysuckle, Lonicera fragrantissima, it stays as a bush not like the summer honeysuckle and the early queens flock to it.  The flowers are perfumed and it is very easy to grow.

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

labourie - 11 December 2012 09:54 PM

I have a bush of winter flowering honeysuckle, Lonicera fragrantissima, it stays as a bush not like the summer honeysuckle and the early queens flock to it.  The flowers are perfumed and it is very easy to grow.

I hadn’t heard of that plant before, but I’ll be keeping an eye out for it at the garden centres. I love the scent of Viburnum x bodnantense, but there are no bees to feed from it where I am at this time of year.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-07

PM

I had assumed that the different types of Spring Crocus were equally good for bees. I bought a variety from Wilkinsons and then noticed just one had got their bee friendly logo on it. This was Crocus Tricolour

The only other bulb I could find at Wilkinson’s with the Bee friendly logo was Allium sphaerocephalon-Drumsticks.  They have got it right about their Drumsticks as this photo I took earlier in the Summer shows and most of you will know

Image Attachments

drum.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-04-23

PM

I too grew those drumstick alliums this year and they looked great scattered through the border. They should come back this year too.

I think that most crocuses should be fine for bees - as long as they have an open top, as some varities have petals that are curled in and close the top over.

I’m also trying fritillaries for the first time this year, and the tiny corms might do well in my garden - I’ll let you know!

Anthony
BBCT Outreach Officer

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-05-25

PM

I’d second Vicbee’s suggestion of Mahonia. We have a Mahonia aquifolium in the garden and the bees are going nuts for it right now. It has blue coloured berries over Winter too. Also there is Berberis darwinii which has lots of lovely small orange flowers that the bees love in early Spring, and usually again in Autumn too which seems to be very popular with our bees. Both of these are evergreen and have berries for added interest.

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2013-06-13

PM

I find the best things for bumblebees at the moment in my garden are Willow, Pieris,  rosemary, heathers and one of my favourites and the most popular the Lungwort.

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-06-14

PM

It is not really a winter plant but it is very early and in time for the queens -who seem to love it:
Pieris forrestii/ formosa. Need to ask about the earliest flowering specie. Allan

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Pieris does need acid soil so if your soil is alkaline this will grow quite happily in a pot with acid soil watered with rain water.

My next door neighbour has a large one in a pot and the bees certainly love it.

Sparrow Sue