Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Bumblebee Nesting Boxes - Secrets for success?

RankRank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-28

PM

Hi, we purchased a nesting box earlier on in the year (remember the warm week at the end of March), had a lovely start with an early queen,unfortunately it seems that she was a victim of the weather as our queen disappeared leaving all her eggs behind. :(

Looks like we’ve missed out for this year as it is getting late although up here in Scotland there seems to be a fair number of queens still buzzing about.

Any tips? think it seems a bit cruel catching bees, is there any way to “attract”? or is catching the best way?

Also, ants, damn things seem to like honey, will bees “deal” with them themselves?

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-05-25

PM

Hi! Such a shame about your early bumblebee :(
We’ve got a bumblebee nesting box that we’ve had for several years and has never been used…so probably not the best placed to give advice! However, I believe that putting some old mouse bedding in is meant to help attract them. Once there’s no chance of our box being used this year I think I’m going to pop it in the garage to see if a mouse will make it’s home in there for a bit and then see if we have more luck next year.