Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

COSMOS a must for bee lovers

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

If you can’t plant anything else in your garden, make sure you have some Cosmos plants. I bought a packet of seed this spring for £2.00 and i got over 60 plants from that packet!

They have been flowering since April and are still in full bloom. The bumble’s have fed from them continuously all spring and summer and are still feeding from them now.

They are annuals, so only last one year but flower vigorously as long as you keep deadheading as they drop their petals. They are very beautiful to look at and not only feed bumble’s but honeybees, solitary bees, hoverflies and butterfly’s. A real winner for bee lovers, that look good and don’t cost a fortune.

They also do very well in large pots, many of mine have been in pots all year and have flowered very well. Just remember if they are in pots to feed regularly as their filament roots take up all the soil as the year progresses.

You can also collect seeds now from the plants and next year they won’t cost you a penny! Bargain!

Image Attachments

12-07-12_094.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Cute grin

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Cosmos are pretty great! I’ve just no planted my pot of spring-flowering bulbs, so let’s hope they do well!

RankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Hope they grow well. They are amazing flowers.