Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

New garden, need advice on meadow bank.

RankRank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Hi all,

I am moving home on 30th June and have a massive garden. Saw a grass bank in the woods with some wildflowers growing in it the other day and it gave me inspiration to create something similar in my garden.

I need advice on what seed to choose as i will treat it as a meadow only cutting in autumn. The bank will be about 60ft long and 5 feet wide.

Thanks for any help grin

RankRank

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Hello anyone have any suggestions please grin

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-07

PM

hi Creepy Crawley

We have 3 banks which are between 4 - 7 feet high and 50 feet long. They form the “terracing” (sounds grand but it isn’t) behind the house where the ground rises up to meet a wooded/ rough area. Originally they were seeded with grass and strimmed every so often to try to keep some order around the house. Over time wild flowers, weed grasses etc have seeded into them and with the dry weather they look pretty miserable now especially in the summer.

We have decided to sow white clover onto the banks in the hope that we will strim once/twice in the summer after flowering and the clover leaf will at least make the banks green. The soil is pretty poor so we’re hoping the clover will take hold easily. Why clover? because it won’t grow too tall so we should still see the shape of the banks.

Also as I’m mad about bumblebees, hopefully they will appreciate the extra food but as mentioned elsewhere here, we don’t have as many BBs as we had last year even though I have let the “lawns” go to clover this year. Last year the on the same lawns, the clover was buzzing with BBs.

I will buy the clover from one of the suppliers mentioned on this website - can’t find the name right now .

Hope you find this helpful.
Adoxa

RankRank

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Hello Adoxa and thank you for your informative reply grin

Your garden sounds lovely. There is a lack of bumble’s everywhere this year it seems. Let’s hope they return to normal next year.

My lawn is full of white clover too and i only see the odd bumble but plenty of honeybees.

Hope you are enjoying the fine weather, while it lasts. Many thanks.