Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

photo’s

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-03-19

PM

Hi

Did a walk today and took some photos with my iPhone, I then used my macbook to blow up the pictures. I really need a better camera to get the fine detail. Does anyone know of or can recommend a suitable camera without it being too costly or complex

thanks

Graham

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-08-08

PM

.Hi. Graham
I’m new here but will have a stab and replying to you.
A lot of people I know use the Panasonic lumix fz150,they have brought out a new model so you could get a fz150 cheaper.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Graham,
Remember to learn the “clues"necessary for bumble identification.  Just snapping a bumble may not always get you the answers you need. Always take pics from several angles if you have time before it flies away!  - how many coloured bands—tail colour - facial hairs - tongue length - pollen baskets - or not etc.  Use the BBCT i/d chart to sort out the common species in your garden - have fun, post your queries here.
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-03-19

PM

Thanks for the feedback, I just would like to see some bee’s as they all seem to have disappeared from my area.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Graham,
Most likely the bumbles in your area have almost reached the end of their annual life cycle, hence they have mostly disappeared.  In which case, only the newly mated daughter queens will feed up and go into hibernation until next spring - all the others, old queens, workers and drones will die by autumn.  [Unless there is a second generation, as can sometimes happen with Early bumbles, Bombus pratorum].  In my garden, the last male Bombus pascuorum bumbles seem to last until the start of November.  Get yourself that new camera and keep practising your camera techniques, so that you are poised ready for spring 2015.  This is what I must do with my new DSLR.
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-07-26

PM

Hi Graham

I have a Canon DSLR, an older model now but I find it has the shutter speed required to keep up with bees and enable shots from many angles. You can then play around with software and edit later. However if you have some echinops or sea grass, the bees spend a little longer crawling a lot more slowly on this while foraging and that helps a lot.

Hope this helps,

Debbie