Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Tree bumblebee in roof

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-06-11

PM

Hi, I have a bee’s nest in the loft of my house. Looking at the bees I believe that they are Tree Bumblebees (see photos attached). Will they cause damage to the roof / loft content? Should I get them removed? If so how? How long are they likely to stay there and will they return?

Many thanks

Mike

Image Attachments

Bee_col.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Dear Mike,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Secondly, your photo shows that you have a Tree Bumblebee colony (Bombus hypnorum).

Please take a look at my article about TBBs, which is tucked away in the About Bees area of this website.
Here is a direct link :
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

These colonies generally die off naturally around the end of July, but thus year seem to be peaking early, so it might be more like the end of June.

You might get a colony started in the same general area next year, since we have had several reports of this happening.

I’ve not heard of any species of bumblebee causing any damage to a building.  One or two people have told me that they have found the remains of a nest and that it was bit sticky.  I don’t see why it wouldn’t just dry out eventually.  

I hope the above information will be of some use to you !

Do sign up for the BBCT’s free E-Newsletter, it will give you useful background information about bumblebees; and can be accessed via the News page on their website.

Yours,        Clive

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Dear Mike,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Secondly, your photo shows that you have a Tree Bumblebee colony (Bombus hypnorum).

Please take a look at my article about TBBs, which is tucked away in the About Bees area of this website.
Here is a direct link :
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

These colonies generally die off naturally around the end of July, but thus year seem to be peaking early, so it might be more like the end of June.

You might get a colony started in the same general area next year, since we have had several reports of this happening.

I’ve not heard of any species of bumblebee causing any damage to a building.  One or two people have told me that they have found the remains of a nest and that it was bit sticky.  I don’t see why it wouldn’t just dry out eventually.  

I hope the above information will be of some use to you !

Do sign up for the BBCT’s free E-Newsletter, it will give you useful background information about bumblebees; and can be accessed via the News page on their website.

Finally, I would be very interested to hear if the colony you show in the photo was originally covered over by the loft insulation, and that you artificially pulled back the loft insulation to allow us to see the colony: or if the uncovered nature of the nest was actually the natural level of cover for the nest ??

Comments please !

Yours,        Clive