Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Need help locating a nest

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Hi,
I am quite sure that there is a bumble bee nest in the general vicinity of my back deck.  We can hear humming quite loudly when on the deck, and there are way more bees in the backyard than any year prior.  However, I cannot for the life of me figure out where the nest is, and I don’t particularly want to go poking around and inadvertently disturb it.  It could be under the deck, or in a nearby window well full of leaves.

There are also two holes in the ground beside the deck (big enough for a bumblebee for sure).  I have not seen anything coming or going, just flying and/or landing in the general area.

The problem is, I have a very curious dog and a very curious (walking) 11 month old.  I’m afraid that without knowing exactly where to keep them away from, one of them will disturb the nest and get stung.
Is there any thing I could put out that would attract many bees out of the nest so that I can watch and figure out where the heck they are living?  Is there a particular time when they return or leave the nest that I can watch for? 

Any help would be appreciated, so that I can give the nest it’s space.  Thanks!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Update:

I think the nest is in my dryer vent.  I have seen them going in and not coming out.  What do I do now?  Will running the dryer convince them to move?  I will have to do laundry at some point in the near future!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 272

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi “InCanada”

Sorry to be so short with words, but do check out the article which the link below will take you to.

Tumble driers have 3 options for sending the waste air out to the environment, Left, Right or straight out the back.
If it is going straight out, then the length of tubing running across the back to go L or R will slowly fill with fluff.
A queen BB can find this and set up home in the fluff.

I suggest you wait until the colony has died out naturally, then clean out the old nest and accumulated fluff.

There is a bit about these colonies in my article which you can reach using the link below.

In haste !      Clive

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf