Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Who is this Golden teddy bear?

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-04-17

PM

Can anyone help me with this - I have seen individual bees like this several times over the past few days and can only describe the colour as Golden (like a lion).  They are quite small maybe 15-20 mm long.  This one was feeding on some lamium but saw it the other day feeding on a purple vetch.  Also appears to have a distinctive reddish orange strip on the face - I don’t think this is just pollen.  I will add a couple more pictures below.

Image Attachments

final_approach.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Joined 2014-04-17

PM

Another view - wings really clear to see ...

Image Attachments

buzzywings.jpg

Rank

Joined 2014-04-17

PM

Should possibly add I am in Angus, East Scotland.

I would really appreciate knowing who this little beauty is so thank you in advance.

Cathy

Image Attachments

golden_teddy_bear.jpg

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Nonehpets,

Nice pics.  I’ll give it a go -  tawny brown, face long - long tongue - foraging flowers with tubular corollas
= a Bombus pascuorum.

Any other suggestions?
urbanbumble

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2012-05-31

PM

Hello

yes I totally agree urbanbumblebee. Definitely Bombus pascuorum or the Common carder bee.
This species is very abundant at the moment.
And they love the flowers that you mentioned Nonehpets- Red dead-nettle and vetches as these flowers have long tubes and the carder’s medium to longish tongue can reach in and get the yummy nectar.

Rank

Joined 2014-04-17

PM

Thank you both ... despite looking as hard as I might in these (and the other pictures I took) I am not seeing black hairs but I just read the description in Steven Falk’s Flicker gallery where it says this is less obvious in these bees further north.  I was also confused by the insipid beige of the illustrations because this wee girl is so vivid.  I am happy to say she is visiting the garden every day so she obviously likes it and the dead nettles are just going to get better and better during the summer because I have several varieties including some really tall ones which the bees adored last year.