Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Nest in quite a bad spot need advise :/

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-21

PM

Ive lived in my current house for 14 years and never had an issue and this year i have 2 nests within 6 feet of each other. Ive included a pic of where the nests are. My problem is they are both just outside my backdoor. The main nest is in the corner of my husbands shed which he uses for our plumbing business :( 
Im not sure if it is normal but they are swarming outside the nest in the corner of the shed which makes it a little worrying. So far ive been able to hang out my washing etc.. but everyday i got out there is more and more bees and the swarm gets bigger and bigger. The other nest is under a slate tile on the roof above the back door, but there is no swarming with that nest. Is it the closeness of the nests which is causing the swarming behavior. I live in a small town in North Yorkshire and my house backs onto a wood and open farmland.
Any info would be much appreciated smile

Image Attachments

003.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Dear “littleme1969”,

Firstly welcome to the Forum !

Secondly, have you found my article about Tree Bumblebees which is located in the About Bees part of this website.
Here’s a quick link:
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

It might help you work out what to do, but if not, please come back here and we can try to help further.

Yours,        Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-21

PM

Thank you Clive.. that is very helpful raspberry
I see its just the larger drones mating.. quite funny as i stood about 4 foot away and watched them for about half an hour and they did everything you describe right down to the two bees coming together and dropping to the floor with a thud smile Clearly the other nest does not have a swarm as yet as the colony is not far enough along.
We will make an effort to keep that part of the garden out of use as much as possible so not to bother them too much and let them go about their business.  Ive tried to make my garden as bee friendly as possible these past 14 years as so much harm is being done to them through pesticides etc.. Clearly ive hit the Bee Jackpot and got it just right smile haha
Thank you for your help.
Nikki