Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Tree bumblebee nest in wall cavity

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-20

PM

Hi,  im hoping someone will be able to give me a bit of advice. I have what I think is a tree bumblebee nest in my eaves of my house. My husband has been in the loft and there is no sign of a nest so im guessing it is in the wall cavity?  Would the nest be large enough to spot if it was in the loft? My concern is we are meant to be having cavity wall insulation in a couple of weeks and im wondering what effect this will have on the nest? The bees haven’t bothered us at all, and I am happy to leave them to end their life cycle naturally if this carries on. Shall I then just fill the holes in the mortar where they are getting in? Do I need to clear the remains of the nest out or will it cause no harm to the structure of my house? Apologies for all the questions but I have grown quite fond of these bee’s and if they are happy then I am happy.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 272

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Dear “natowl”,

Firstly, Welcome to the Forum !

Secondly, we have enough knowledge of TBBs in buildings now to be able to answer much of your concern.

The nests are not always close to where they enter the loft - they sometimes walk some distance to their nest.
Physically it can be quite small - maybe around the size of a compact cow pat - even for a large colony, and most of them probably don’t get that big either.
It is unlikely to be in the wall cavity, because I think these are sealed at the top when the building is constructed.
It is quite likely to be either within the loft insulation, or just beneath it, directly onto the back of the ceiling below.
It is unlikely that you would find the old nest - but if you do, please take some photos of it and let us see them here on the Forum.
Once the nest has died out (around the end of July), you could block the hole that have been used by the bees.

I hope these comments help !

You’ll enjoy the cavity insulation benefits when the cold weather comes. 
We did out home in the 1970s and it made an instant warmth increase !

Yours,      Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-20

PM

Thank you for all the info Clive,  really helpful and interesting! Kind regards, Natalie