Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

different bee behaviour

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

Hello! every year i have had bumble bees nest in the compost bin or somewhere near in my garden . this hasn’t been a problem and. have watched them peacefully go about their daily lives . this year they are back but although some are just going in and out there is a group of them. that just hang around outside the nest all day and seem quite agitated . in fact i just went out and one chased me and stung me. i wasn’t even close! they almost seem like a gang of kids hanging about on a street corner looking for trouble! i haven’t had them. behav.e like this before so was looking for some advice. i haven’t let the dog out there at the moment in case that doesn’t. end. well but not sure what to do about them . any thoughts ? thanks. Gerry

Rank

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

ah Clive i just saw your reply. they are in my old rabbit Hutch so it sounds like they. are tree bumble bees. i thought of them. as troublesome. as they. seem to be hassling the workers flying in so maybe this is them looking for the ladies . they have a very orange body and aren’t really striped. i cant get close enough tin get a picture because of the ones outside!still not sure what to do about them . Gerry

Rank

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

sorry to keep reply to my own post but i also don’t think it did sting me . something got me about the same time the bee was buzzing at me but on closer inspection it looks like a gnat bite. due to the timing i blamed the bee to whom i apologise as looking on line it appears there male bees are stingless. which i am pleased about as they seem to not have the usual bee code! in which alone ?case i can just leave them

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 272

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi Olivedog,

Yes, you could leave them and enjoy watching from a safe distance.

Here is a quick link to the article:
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

The colony will probably die out naturally around the end of July.

Please come back to this thread if you need any further information !

Much of the article should be relevant to your situation.

Sorry to hear of the Gnatbite - pesky things !

Yours,      Clive