Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

5 nests found!!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

Just quickly checking yesterday I have found 5 nests - they look like bumble bees - white bottoms.  Personally not scared, but not comfortable, so not looking to get too close for better identification!  One in the roof of an outbuilding, one under the tiles near the eaves of the roof (1st floor) by a balcony window.  One in a small hole in the mortar by my daughters bedroom window, which is over the front porch, where there are 2 under the tiles (one either end). 

The first two are less of an issue, it is the other 3.  My daughter reacts badly to any form of sting or bite (not anaphylactic yet, thank goodness), but serious swelling, heat and pain. 

We are an atophic family with various multiple allergies between us, so allergies and the level of reaction can come, go and vary. 

I am really pleased to have the bees for my garden (lots of plants and veg here) and to see them obviously thriving, however I am not comfortable with the last 3 nests (can live with the others), principally because of my daughters reaction should she be stung.  I know B. Bees are not as aggressive as some other species, but will still defend themselves. 

Is there anything I can do about these 3 nests?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi “beekind123”,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum !

Secondly you might have multiple colonies of the Tree Bumblebee, which is causing many anxious queries at present.

Please take a look at the article I wrote about them which is tucked away in the FAQs part of the About Bees part of they website.
It should answer most of your questions.
Here is a quick link to the article:
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

The colony(ies) will probably die out naturally around the end of July.

Please come back to this thread and we will try to give you further advice as appropriate.

Yours         Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

Just posted a reply and it has disappeared so apologies if this is now a duplicate.  The bit in the article about bees reaction to vibration is the bit that worries me - the 3 nests that are by the front door/my daughters bedroom window - in the summer we have to slam the front door to shut it properly.  I would like advice/someone to help move these - very happy to have them elsewhere in the garden and happy to leave the other 2 undisturbed.  Talking to a friend, these bees seem to be becoming quite common - are we going to find that they have taken over some of our native species food supplies and in a couple of years are a threat?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi again “bekind123”

The response to vibration is something that I’ve only come across in colonies in bird boxes fixed to sheds.
I’ve not yet heard of any problems of this sort with colonies that are in proper buildings.
So, I’m afraid the only way to find out what happens in the case of potential vibrations from door slamming will be to try it out and see what happens - then please tell us what you have found ASAP !

If necessary some of these colonies might have to be destroyed.  Wasp killer powder should work.
A very few people in the UK have skills and experience to move bumblebee colonies.  Sadly most beekeepers don’t want to get involved, but you could ask !  A nest in the structure of a building will be difficult to access, which would make removal less likely still.
And in any case the colony will die out naturally in just a few weeks time.

Pain, some swelling and local heat are normal reactions to bee stings.  Bumblebee stings are un-barbed, so you would get a significantly smaller dose of venom from a bumblebee sting than a honey bee sting.  I use anti histamine tablets to reduce the effect if necessary, choosing Zirtec because it is just one tablet per day: but you must choose your own course of action !

I hope the above has helped.

Yours,        Clive