Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Should I put up a warning sign?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-05-15

PM

Hi
Yesterday evening I have discovered bumble bees nesting above my back door in the roof space above the porch,  they buzz round in the porch entrance and seem quite active. It doesn’t worry me, I’m very happy to have them, but should I put up a cautionary notice for people making deliveries etc. saying that they won’t be hurt by them?
I don’t know what sort they are, they’re small and black. I posted some pics to BeeWatch and I’m waiting for them to get back to me.
Thanks very much

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-05-15

PM

I too have a similar problem with a nest just above head height. I had a nest in the eves last year andthe bees would swoop down to look at me. I am concerned a visitor may try to swat it.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi ffroglet and still wet,

Welcome to the Forum !

Please would you take a look at the article about Tree Bumblebees that I wrote and which is tucked away on the FAQ area of About Bees on this website.  The article should help you understand what is going on.
Here’s a quick link to it:
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

It would certainly do no harm to put up a notice.
The colonies will probably die out around the end of July, but there will be much Drone Nest Surveillance activity before then.  (The good thing about this is that drone bees, who spend so long hanging around outside the nest cannot sting.  You have to be a girl bee to sting !)

Do come back to this thread if you need any further help after looking at the article.

Oh, and do sign up for the BBCT’s free E-Newsletter, which will give you useful background information about bumblebees.

Yours,      Clive

Rank

Joined 2014-05-15

PM

Hi Clive, thank for the info.
When I first saw the bees they appeared to be all black, then a few days later they were identifiably tree bumblebees with the brown and the white. Do you think the black ones were also tree bees?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi Ffroglet,

Yes, this is very likely.  Tree Bumblebees come with a wide range of thorax fur colour and this sometimes looks very dark.  The thorax fur also wears away, exposing the black of the carapace beneath.
If the bee was flying at an angle so that you couldn’t see the white tail, then it would appear very dark and in some lights as black.

I hope this helps !

Yours,    Clive

Rank

Joined 2014-05-15

PM

Yes, thanks again