Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Nest in Garden Pot

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-04-30

PM

I pulled last years bedding out of a pot on my patio and was aware of a number of bees appearing, I didn’t think anything about it and the next day topped up the compost and again a number of bees appeared.  I realised there must be a nest in the pot.
I’m now concerned that the pot will become waterlogged as I’ve removed the plant protection.  How can I best look after the nest?

Thanks

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Sandra,
A neighbour of mine had asimilar situation a few years ago.  In this case, he had a used spherical hanging basket from the previous year and wanted to save money and just re-plant it using the existing ball of compost.  So he decided it need watering to revive it and dunked the basket, soil and all, in his water butt.  Lots of bumbles emerged [not at all happy at almost being drowned].  I suggested that he waited until evening for the bumbles to calm down and then to carefully move the basket to the top of the garden, where it would be undisturbed - and continue to watch the next day.  The bumbles continued to use their nest through the summer [I assume the queen survived].  But he had to find another hanging basket to plant up!  Are you able to put your “bumble” pot in a sheltered place , without further disturbance and plant up another one for yourself?  Did you manage to identify which kind of bumbles you have?  Best of luck!
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-04-30

PM

Thanks, pot moved to a sheltered corner and the bees are still coming & going, though one seems a bit confused and buzzes around where the pot was before, but I guess there’s always one straggler! I think they are the buff tailed variety.  Off to find some more bee friendly plants for them now!
Sandra