Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Trying to turn a .small garden into an all year round snack bar for bumblebees.

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-03-25

PM

HI,last summer I grew wildflowers and a few bumblebee friendly plants in the garden,tubs and hanging baskets. The only photo I have left is of the hanging baskets, (see hanging baskets for bees post) the rest went into cyber space,I’m still learning how to use the computer I probably pressed the wrong button.
In November I cleared the plants away then planted Rosemary,Lungwort,Bugle, Primulas, Heathers and bulbs. So far there has been food for the bumblebees since December when the heathers started flowering, I will have to tweak the planting to keep it continuous. But I am sure it can be done.I will be sowing the wild flower seed into 3” pots this weekend ,to plant into the garden, tubs and hanging baskets.

Image Attachments

ATT_1397301368030_photo.JPGATT_1397301396797_photo.JPGATT_1397301380271_photo.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-03-23

PM

I planted field scabious, ice plant and bowels prennial mauve which all started flowering
early summer last year and lasted right into Oct with dead heading. They were the biggest hits in my wildlife garden.

You mentioned you had a small space, one plant that might suit is ragged robin which I think is stunning the bees loved it last year. Other big hits in my garden were meadow clary and verbenia bonariensis!

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2014-03-25

PM

HI lillybee,thanks for the information, the bowels mauve sounds just like the plant I require to help get the snack bar through to June when the wild flowers will be producing there food.
                                                    Bye for now Jacka