Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Wanted : Observations about the types of flowers the Tree Bumblebee visits

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-07-10

PM

I note you already have cotoneaster horizontalis on your list;  I can only add that, this spring, mine was absolutely covered with tree bumblebees, to the exclusion of other varieties. I wondered if this relative newcomer was excluding other bees from visiting this plant?

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-12-02

PM

Hi, having trawled through my records for the past 3 years, here are some flowers B. hypnorum has visited that are not yet on your list;
Clematis alpine (blue and purple), rosemary, crab apple, dog rose, hebe, Cotinus coggygri, Salvia purpurea, Astrantia, Teucreum (Wall germander), pyracantha, rosebay willow herb.
Louise

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-07-28

PM

This year I began to keep records about the types of flowers   bees are visiting so I am pleased to have the opportunity to use some of this information   already! 
So some additions to the list

Bramble - Rubus sp
Figwort - Scrophularia nodosa
Herb Bennet - Geum urbanum
Lousewort - Pedicularis sylatica
Oil Seed Rape

Hermione

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Clive,
Just seen a B. hypnorum queen foraging a cardoon flower; also pollinating my blackberries.
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-06-12

PM

Himalayan honeysuckle (pheasantberry), and horse chestnut - not seen any for a while , in contrast to other years when tree bees and common carders have been the two species still active in late summer.

RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

Hi Clive a popular plant for my Tree Bees that I don’t see on your list is the Spirea