Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

late bumble

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Yesterday, 9th October 2013, [sunshine and very strong, cool winds]  I spotted a long-tongued Bombus hortorum worker with pollen load, foraging the white dead nettle.  So there must still be an active colony somewhere nearby - unusual for here.  Are there any active B. hortorum with pollen loads in your area ? 
urbanbumble

RankRank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-08-09

PM

Last week i saw Common carder females with pollen loads. Does that mean they have had a second brood this year?

Yesterday i saw many male carders and 2 Queens, one Buff-tailed and one tree bumble still foraging. Despite the awful weather, rain almost every day and strong winds, we still have a lot of bees. I’m glad of that.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Creepy Crawley,
This cold and wet spell has lowered the numbers of bumbles seen about my garden these past few days, perhaps a bit of sunshine will bring them out again.  I’ve not seen any more B. hortorum workers around the white deadnettles.
I’ve never been aware of a second generation of B. pascuorum here;  and I usually see the last of them around bonfire night [first week in November].  I’ve had a look in “Bumblebees” by Ted Benton [Collins New Naturalists]  Page 374, and it mentions that…active workers have been observed until at least early October; and that males and daughter queens [some with pollen loads in late September]...are consistent with double broods, although other explanations are possible.  Perhaps someone else from BBCT can offer thoughts on your query?
urbanbumble