Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Any Idea What This Could Be?

Rank

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Saw this strange insect on my Buddleja bush tonight.  Unfortunately it wouldn’t come down low enough to get a pic of it so here’s a description.

It had a very long probiscus - about 1 inch in length and the body was also about 1 inch, so altogether whatever it was was roughly 2 inches long.

It had a furry body, similar in markings to a bee -  black with yellow and white stripes and beat its wings very fast.  The wings seemed to be orange in colour.

It reminded me on a humming bird with the fast wing beat and it sipping nectar.

Could this have been a Bombylius Major?

If so, it’s the first time I’ve seen one and it was fascinating to watch.  I’ll keep an eye out for it again and if I can get a pic of it will post it.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-09-02

PM

It sounds like a hummingbird hawk moth. They can be seen in the UK but very common in Mediterranean countries.  I saw them for the first time in Menorca, lovely

Rank

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Thank you Suzanne.  Looked at a pic of one and that’s what was in our garden tonight.  I hope I see it (or them again).  It was lovely to watch - just like a miniature humming bird.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Lovebumblebees & Suzanne,
I think Suzanne is right but I’ve only ever seen a humming bird hawk moth once and my camera was in the house, the other side of it!  They are very fast and amazing to watch.  Lucky you!
urbanbumble