Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Volunteering → Thread

newbee

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-08

PM

I’ve only just signed up to be a volunteer & excited about the prospect of helping to increase peoples awareness of how important bumblebees are to us humans.  I still worry that my lack of bee-knowledge will let me down when it comes to dealing with the public when they ask questions.  However I’m hoping to start with a small garden project beside a lock-keepers cottage.  I’ve gathered up some plant lists & so on & on Sunday hope to meet up with a friend to discuss the idea at the site.  In the back of my mind is an even bigger project: to study & research the whole 20 miles of the un-used canal edges with a view to ensure that bumblebees can live happily along this stretch of the landscape.  Do you think I’m crazy?  The canal edges are owned & maintained by local councils but the majority of the land either side of the watercourse is rural countryside.  What do you think?

Image Attachments

DSC01397.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-08-21

PM

Hi Ash,

Welcome to the Forum.
You are not alone! I will shortly be attending an event when I will need to share my enthusiasm and my knowledge of bees such as it is and I worry that my mind will go blank when asked a question.
You’ve got a big idea there! 20 miles is a long way. Sounds a wonderful idea if you can get the landowners interested and sympathetic. I say go for it!
Where abouts are you in the country/which county are you?
Do share with the Forum how you get on.

Good luck!

vicbee

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-08

PM

I suppose the way to think about it is to think of how the bees will benefit & the more people who become aware of the problems they face the better.
My idea to cover the whole 20 miles is probably too grand however there are other locks (12 I think) so there must be other opportunities.  I shall add a few photos as the work progresses (we begin next Sunday!)  It is all being organised through the Inland Waterways Assoc. Ireland (Newry-Portadown branch) & it is hoped to raise the profile of the work of the IWAI & their goal of re-opening the canal.  If in the process BBCT’s profile is also highlighted then that can only be a good thing.  I must get on to “Volunteering” to send me promotional leaflets & so on.