Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

ID help please

RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-08-24

PM

Can’t decide what these are…I thought that they were early bumblebee males, they are much smaller than leucorum or terrestris

Thank you

CPBx

Image Attachments

P1060827.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 110

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

I think your bumble is most likely a male Bombus lapidarius .  Edwards & Jenner indicates that it could be confused with B. monticola, if the orange-red tail extends over half the abdomen but I don’t get the latter where I live, so can’t be sure from your pic. 
urbanbumble

RankRank

Joined 2012-08-24

PM

Thanks urbanbumble…I did wonder whether it was lapidarius but I have only seen one worker all summer….b.lapidarius have been very scarce in the garden for the last few years. I last noticed a lot them in the garden in 2004, there must have been a nest either in or near the garden…ever since I’ve been trying to remember what I was growing that year to draw them in smile

RankRank

Joined 2012-08-24

PM

I should add that I’ve seen a lot of these small bumblebees this year, s well as the much larger leucorum and terrestris

Image Attachments

P1060259.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 110

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi again,
This is a male Bombus pratorum - early bumbles that do a good pollination job on my raspberries.  These have mostly finished here now.
I agree with you about the lack of Bombus lapidarius this year.  I’m seeing more males now that ever I did the workers, so there must have been a nest somewhere local.  They do like foraging Campanulas - maybe the flowering period was out of sinc with the B. lap. workers and I missed their activities.
urbanbumble