Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Bumblebee similar to B. hortorum, but signs it is not that.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-08-06

PM

I thought at the time (24th June) that this was Bombus sylvestris male, from a cursory look at the tail tip. But I was completely wrong, and have just got round to looking properly. However, I am now very puzzled about what should be a straightforward ID.

I have one image showing that the last abdominal segment is black with a hint of ginger, and that there is a clear break in the pale hair at the front of the abdomen.
One rear-side view showing the relative banding on the thorax, and a suggestion that the pale hair on the abdomen extends further foward at the side.
Three images of the face - very elongate, BUT with ginger hair on mandibles, and lower part of face. This matches well with the image in Field Guide to Bumblebees by Mike Edwards, of Bombus ruderatus.

I was initially puzzled by the antennae, which appear to only have 12 segments (despite many clues that it is male), but I think the supposed segment three is actually 2 segments, otherwise it would be exceedingly long.

Whilst it would appear to be impossible to be Bombus ruderatus, there are features here that do not match hortorum, and match ruderatus!

I need to submit high resolution images, but the system won’t let me!!!
HELP!

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-08-06

PM

Because I can’t seem to submit large photos using this facility, I have submitted by request for an ID via the Bee watch system.

I just hope it works!