Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Hi, is this a garden bumblebee?

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-20

PM

Would be grateful if anyone could help identify this bee, many thanks!  Photo taken in residential area in Edinburgh.

Image Attachments

P1060897copy.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi little a,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum !

Secondly, yes, this is a Garden Bumblebee (Bombus hortorum) which is one of two species that visit Foxgloves.
The second species (at least in my area) is B. pascuorum, the Common Carder bumblebee.

You need to have your eye in to spot the yellow band at the front end of the abdomen, but your photo shows this beautifully.
Other diagnostics are the very long face; and a tendency to move towards flowers with their enormous tongue partly extended.

I hope this helps !        Yours       Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-20

PM

Hi Clive
Many thanks for your very helpful reply!  The photo of this garden bumblebee was taken in my mother’s garden and I have passed on your info to her.  Though she isn’t a member of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, she has for some time strived to have a bumblebee friendly garden and gears her planting towards encouraging as many bee visitors as possible.  I’ve just googled images of the common carder bumblebee and have seen honey coloured bees in Mum’s garden too so will try to get a photo of one for uploading and confirmation of identification.  Little a in question is my 5 year old, and she is very proud to be a bumblebee helper smile.  She is now aware that the garden bumblebees are the ones “wearing grey furry knickers”...
Best wishes
Morag