Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Bumblebee’s in primary schools

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-06-10

PM

My partner is a primary school teacher and as a leaving present for her class we have created little bumblebee packs with lavender seeds and a brief introduction to bumblebees. 

I just wondered if anyone else has done anything similar or whether the trust is targeting primary schools with awareness presentations?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

slippy - 09 July 2013 08:13 PM

...I just wondered if anyone else has done anything similar or whether the trust is targeting primary schools with awareness presentations?

While I was recently running I.T. at a school I introduced bee-keeping, covering all pollinators, and gave several sets of evening courses, all of this was available to all staff, parents and pupils, 3 to 18. Very successful, with several adults and a couple of pupils taking up the past-time. The infants especially loved putting on (oversized) bee suits and looking into the hives at the school apiary - After setting this up I was greeted throughout the school with “Hello Mr Bee man” by the tiddlers wink

The head groundsman ran a gardening club with the Juniors (seniors ran their own club), with planting of veg and bee friendly flowers, and with the help of the maintenance department, the installation of wild-life ponds, bird, bat, bumblebee & Hedgehog boxes and shortly before leaving, a local coombe was set up as a nature walk with stations at points of interest. We had the luxury of large tracts of land, but one can do a great deal in a very small area.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

to add to the above…

Something that works well is to start up an “eco committee” that concerns itself with all aspects of ecology, as well as the obvious, it should include such things as recycling, energy loss, energy gathering (Solar, Wind, geothermal etc.) All members of the school can become involved, many parents and staff will have useful skills to offer, so the committee should include teaching & support staff, governors, pupils and parents. Support staff must be on-board as their work will probably be needed.

Start small with some “easy wins” and show how successful you’ve been. Once you have support you need to maintain momentum. Get a few pages on the school website set up. Combine mufty days with eco related activities. Invite eco related companies, bee-keepers, local farmers and conservation groups to summer fĂȘtes, show what the children are doing. Run “bird box” evenings using recycled timber - get the local builders merchants to donate a bucket of nails and some hammers. Many power companies will give you access to graphs of power used, they can be used to show improvements in insulation, lowering thermostats etc. To get your committee going, do an audit of your resources and then have a brain-storming session.

Maybe the moderator should move this thread to a more suitable location?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi All,

A little extra feedback on pre-existing material.
1.  Many Beekeeping Associations do School Visits.

2.  BBKA has purpose designed educational material for primary school use.
3.  There was a Bees4kids website in conjunction with it - again try BBKA.

4.  BBCT did have some school educational material in it’s early days.  This was partly derived form the BBKA material: but this was designed for use in schools in Scotland (where BBCT was then solely based).

Try contacting the BBCT Outreach Team - probably Dawn Ewing.

Yours       Clive

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2012-05-31

PM

Hello

do check out these sections of our website that are aimed at children
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/get-involved/bumble-kids/

You will find lots of various activites here
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/get-involved/bumble-kids/activities/

and we were also involved in Bee Scene
http://www.wildaboutplants.org.uk/beescene/

BBCT having recently developed a new membership aimed at teachers and youth leaders.

Good luck, elaine