Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Can anyone identify this bee please?

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-08

PM

Hi there, can anyone identify this bee please, which has a nest at my friends house? It has a white bottom and a ginger thorax with a black spot in the middle, like a ginger polo mint! All the bees in the nest are like this, so this one’s not just an aboration. Thanks.

Image Attachments

SusansBee1.1_070713_._.jpgSusansBee2.2_070713_._.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-02-03

PM

i’d say a tree bee - wads of them about this year in my garden.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-08

PM

I’d initially thought Tree Bee, but none of the identification pictures has the hole in the ginger thorax. Thanks for helping.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi DaisyJayne,
Your friend has a nest of Tree Bumblebees - Bombus hypnorum.  The “hole” on the thorax is just fair wear and tear for a bumble that has been around for a while - they don’t stay pristine for ever, just to match the i/d charts.  The ginger hairs have worn away showing the black cuticle underneath.  Now that the new queens and drones are on the wing, the nest should begin to break down and all but the newly mated queens will eventually die off by autumn.  My nest box tree bumbles are still active around the garden but I’m now finding one or two dead ones on the ground.
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

Hi DaisyJayne,

Your description with photos of the ginger thorax is very interesting. I have never noticed this feature on the tree bees I have seen but the illustration in my field guide –Edwards and Jenner - does show a distinct dark patch in the centre of the ginger thorax.  I think the clearly defined white tail combined with a ginger thorax is a pretty convincing indication of the tree bee (male or female).
Have you thought of sending the photos to the Beewatch website -
http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/wpn003/beewatch
where you can upload photos for identification?
best wishes,
Kit