Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

ID help

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Photographed in our garden just after lunch time.  First of all I wondered about a tree bumblebee but then thought it wasn’t quite orange enough and now I’m wondering if it is a common carder bee.  It’s

Image Attachments

Bee_edit2small.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

Hi Wendy,

This looks to me (not an expert) like a Common Carder bee.  I think the Tree bumblebee has a clearly defined white tail on the abdomen, and a dark band between the ginger thorax and the tail.
It’s a really good photo – and I wonder if you could tell me what camera you used? I have recently bought a Fuji 350, an updated version of my last broken one which took quite good photos, but the new one is no good for bumblebee photos –  I only get blurred ones! I would be grateful for any recommendations from you – or from anyone else reading this.
With best wishes,

Kit

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hi Wendy,
I agree with Kit.- Common Carder Bee = Bombus pascuorum.
What flower was it foraging?  Looks the right shape for a long-tongued bumble, which is what your bumble is..
Tree bumbles,B. hypnorum are short-tongued bumbles.
Nice pic.
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Many thanks for your advice Kit and Urbanbumble.  Kit, you asked which camera I used.  It was a Panasonic G5 .  It was the first outing for this camera body (I’d upgraded from a Panasonic G1).  I just sat on the grass watching the bees visit the clover and made sure I had set a high shutter speed to capture the bees in motion.  I was a bit lucky with this one.

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

Hi Wendy

Thanks for the helpful camera recommendation.
Hope you enjoy many more successes with your camera.

Have you thought of sending the photos to the Beewatch website -
http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/wpn003/beewatch
where you can upload photos for identification?
best wishes,
Kit