Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

ID help - Is this a Broken Belted Pls?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Hi all,

I was called to a house to investigate bees behind a soffit, and as expected, they were tree bumblebees. (I saw a male hijack a queen as she was flying back to the nest, something I have never seen before.)

The house owner then asked me to look at a nest in a lawn. I took several pictures on my phone, but only one was usable - please see link here, as too big to upload (even though cropped!) http://onesevenfive.org/photos/bumblebee.png

I think these are Broken Belted, however the “belt” is white not yellow as in the guide.

The location is Somerset. There is evidence of badger digging just two metres away, so I hope that they don’t end up being a snack!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, the house owner is very happy to live alongside the bees smile

Adub

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2013-01-10

PM

Hello aDub,
I’ve had a look at your image and I think that the bumble is most likely to be one of the common “Big Six/Seven” - a Bombus terrestris,  [ two yellow bands and a buff/white tail].  As they get older, bumbles do not remain pristine and may become worn and the colours fade, which often makes it tricky to identify them from bumble i/d guides, especially late in the season.  However using all your available information, Bombus terrestris often make their nests underground in gardens - and badgers do like to dig them up [for snacks!] , as happened in a neighbour’s garden a few years ago.  I hope this helps.
urbanbumble

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Thanks for that Urban, I’ll pass your ID on to the house owner smile

aDub