Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Sightings picking up :)

RankRank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

I just got my Beewalk e mail, and wanted to share my observations from my garden after the terrible spring we had. I had started to think I would not see any bees, but then my rhododendron came into flower, and the weather improved slightly and there they were, my little furry friends, buzzing around my tiny garden. The first ones to arrive were the Buff tailed and the Earlies, then the Common Carder and Tree bumblebees have arrived in force. (first tree bumblebee sighting was 5th June)  I have more flowers now, which I think has been the problem. The flowers were all so much later on all my plants. I have seen a few honey bees too, and a few solitary bees. So my fingers are crossed for a good year for our lovely Bumbles smile

Here is a couple of pictures, the bee on the poppy I was not sure weather it was a buff tailed or a white tailed, I have had lots of buff tailed, but so far no confirmed whited tailed, what do you all think??

Image Attachments

untitled_(1_of_1)-9.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

Won’t let me add more than one for some reason :( Here is a tree bee smile

Image Attachments

untitled_(1_of_1)-10.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi lougo412,

Lovely photos !

I think the first one is probably B. lucorum, because I can’t see a brounish colour at the top of the white tail.
Judginng by the long antennae, I think the Tree Bee is a male (drone).

Clive