Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee nests → Thread

Bumblebee nest & Slow worms

RankRank

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Morning all grin
It appears that I may have a nest in our “Slow worm city” compost bin.
I say ‘may’ as yesterday when I lifted the lid to see how the resident slow worms (20+) were getting on, I noticed 3 B Ter; workers moving about on top of the shedded paper.

I’m assuming that they can both live happily together, as the slow worms have been living and breeding in there for the last 3 years.

Does anyone else have any experience of this ?

Peter

RankRank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2013-06-13

PM

Peter

Not really bee related but I am very interested in your slow worm compost bin, as I do have slow worms in my garden but would like to increase their numbers.
How is the compost bin constructed and what do you put on and what do you not put on ?

Sound like you have a B.terrestris nest which would be great. Compost heaps/bins are a common nesting site for bumblebees.

Regards

kevin

RankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Hi Kevin,

The bin is just one of those round plastic types with the front opening for access to the rotted compost and a lift off lid.
Since the Slow worms took up residence 3 years ago, I’ve not added anything during the year until the end of the growing season, when I’ve put all the old plants & veggies that have finished along with any pot plants and hanging baskets.  Early part of this year we shredded a lot of old house hold bills and put the shreddings in the bin then wet it down and left it.
We don’t disturb or use the compost in this bin at all, we leave it for them to live in….. Hence it’s called ‘Slow worm city.’

Last night I had another look and again there was a couple of B Ter; walking about on the paper. As I was watching, one of them disappeared under the paper and I assume down one of the many holes the Slow worms use.
If they are nesting in there, I have no idea how they are getting in & out of the bin as I haven’t seen any coming or going by them. The ony thing I can think of is they are using one of the Slow worm tunnels as an entry and exit point !!!!

If and when I find out how they’re getting in and out, I’ll update the post.

Kind regards….... Peter

RankRank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2013-06-13

PM

Peter

Keep us posted.
one last question- is the bin in the sun or shade ?

Regards

Kevin

RankRank

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Hi Kevin,

Most of the time it’s in sun light (when we get any that is!) and often when we lift the lid, they are laying against the wall facing the sun. Except in the hottest part of a very warm sunny day.

Peter