Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

bees nesting in my shed

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-06-10

PM

Hi can anyone identify these for me please, the rusty one in flight is similar to the ones nesting in my shed, which is on stilts so they are defo not nesting in the ground. Are in a cavity above the door frame in the apex. Are quite noisey when approached or it’s hot. The tails look a lot whiter than in the pic where it looks quite yellow I think they might be tree bees. Is the other just a common garden bumble bee. Any help would be appreciated as am new to this and folks are asking me what kind they are.

Image Attachments

DSC_1575ed2forum.jpgDSC_1587edforum.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-08-24

PM

Hello Annie and welcome to the forum. smile

I’m not sure about the first one as I can’t see the tail, it may be bombus terrestris, lucorum OR hortorum smile As for the one on the right….I think that tree bumblebees (bombus hypnorum)  would be more likely to nest in the apex of the shed than a common carder bee. I could be wrong :D

Hopefully somebody with a LOT more knowledge than i have will come along and put us both straight….

CPBx

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-06-10

PM

Thanks, the shed had a fire years ago and as the inside was not suitable for painting we covered it in loft insulation then hardboard. Then lining paper and then painted it bright pastel colours. Maybe the colours attracted them or probably I’m guessing the fact that it was warm, sheltered and quiet.