Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

ID Help

RankRank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

Hi,

I have just finished my first Bee walk, and although disappointed not to see more bees, at least I got the May walk in. Here are a couple of pictures (not great) these were a couple I was not sure of, so thought I would post here before filling in my form. I don’t know if I have put in both pictures, the preview won’t work, so will upload and hope, if not I will post other picture in the replies smile

I hope someone can help.

Image Attachments

untitled_(1_of_1).jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

no it didn’t seem to work, so here is the other picture, the first one I thought was a buff tailed, but suspected it might be a queen, it wasn’t feeding and was searching around in the undergrowth? The second picture is slightly obscured, bee on a dandelion, it had a mucky yellow coloured band around the thorax, and an orangy abdomen end, but had very long legs with no sign of pollen baskets (a cuckoo maybe)

Image Attachments

untitled_(1_of_1)-2.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi loug0412,

Your photos have come through fine, but yes, it is a bit of a fiddle to post them !

The first one looks like a B. terrestris / lucorum to me, but more likely terrestris from the lack of true whiteness in the tail. 
The and the behaviour you describe makes her a queen. 
In this late season nest searching queens are still a viable possibility, depending on where you are in the UK and probably the altitude too.  Although it is said that really late queens are likely to be infected with the nematode Sphaerularia bombi, so never establish colonies.

Your second photo is a cuckoo judging by the shape of her hind legs.
We can’t see the head and front thorax, but the tail is reddish and the body black, which points to B. rupestris, which is a cuckoo of the Red-tailed BB, B. lapidarius.
But she doesn’t look very big - and two of the three I’ve seen were huge and I’m not sure her wings are dark enough !

So, lets see what Elaine thinks !

Yours       Clive

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2012-05-31

PM

Hello both

Clive I concur!
The bee on the dandelion does suspiciously look like a cuckoo bumblebee. Very dark wings and skinny hind legs.
Definitely most likely to be a Red-tailed cuckoo.

well done lougo412!

cheers, elaine