Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

No Bumblebees

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Down here in the Bucks Chilterns, there are now a large number of BBs about.

On our Allotment there are many B. pratorum drones, also a few workers.  The other common species are B. pascuorum and B. hypnorum; and many B. lapidarius are working the flowers on a big patch of Chives.

But I’m seeing rather few B. terrestris / lucorum - although there is a nest of terrestris in my garden ~250 m from the allotments.

In ythe garden there are B. hortorum working the Aquilegias, Foxgloves and also Yellow Flag (in the small pond).

There have also been a couple of probable Cuckoo drones working the Allotment Chives. 
I’ve got some photos of them, but haven’t had time to work out what they are.

Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-03-01

PM

Glad to say there are lots of busy Bumbles around now including the appearance of Hypnorum on a Buddleja Globosa ... but there is a definate lack of Lapidarus!  Is this a local trend (Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire) or is it the same elsewhere?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

I’m seeing plenty of B. lapidarius workers, but until the last day or two there was a distinct dearth of B. terrestris / lucorum.
However, the pendulum has now swung and I am now seeing many more of them.
Wycombe, South Bucks - in the Chilterns.
Clive

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Thanks everyone for your replies grin

So pleased to hear that our beautiful insects are now in abundence…....about time and well worth the wait grin

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-06-29

PM

Hi , I’m new to this site, was trying to find an online survey for bumble bee activity. Reason being I have 4 nests in my garden and hundreds of bb the majority are small with a dot on their head and the other is the larger type ( sorry not an expert). I keep hearing of bees Declan and thought the activity in my garden may be of interest . I’m in Sevenoaks Kent.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hello Jason n,

Welcome to the Forum !  I suspect that some of the Forum users would be green with envy to hear that you’ve got four nests !

Could it be that the bees with “dots on their heads” have actually been foraging in flowers that leave a blob of pollen on their heads / bodies ?
This could easily be the case if they have been working the creeping Campanula that is flowering well at the moment.
I suggets you take a quick look at the “About Bees” area of this website and see if you can work out which types you are the Landlord of.

Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-27

PM

Since the storms we had i’ve seen bumble bees everyday on a flowering plant in the garden, when its cool they are all over the plant all day approx. 30 plus and they are there until late some even sleep on the plant. We are in Marlborough