Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Struggling B.lapidarius

RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

We found the tinyest Red Tailed on the grass today, pollen baskets full and clearly struggling. We popped it onto a bit of slate and gave it a little sugar water which it lapped up straight away and then it preceded to try it’s best to remove the pollen….................The poor thing tried as hard as it could but to no avail, we even tried to help but were worried we’d cause more harm.

The poor bee still exhausted found herself on the grass again clinging desperately to a blade. We’ve plucked it off again and put it in a safe place out of the way of our usual crowd of Hedgehogs and I’ll have a look again in the morning

I shall leave you with a photo

Image Attachments

025.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi Paula,

Here are a few comments that might be relevant to this situation :

Well done for trying to help her !
It seems to be fairly common for foraging bumblebees to stay out overnight and return to their nest the following day - and this is something totally different between honey bees and bumblebees.
Could what you have seen as the bee trying “remove the pollen” actually be her trying to pack it better in her pollen baskets ?
She won’t be able to fly until her thorax temperature has been raised by muscle activity to ~35C: and the free fuel that you have given her in the form of syrup will be a wonderful aid here.

Yours     Clive

RankRank

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

Thanks Clive…...........she was still out there this morning and not looking very good :(  I’ve offered her more nectar and popped her in the greenhouse with the door open as it’s cold and drizzly here today.

She’s the first red tailed worker I’ve seen this year and very very small. My ceonothus has only just flowered so there was a bit of a gap in the pollen I’ve tried to provide and something I need to look into

Paula

RankRank

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

I’ve just realised I never gave you the end of the story.

I kept the Bee for a total of 2 nights the second one in the greenhouse. By the next afternoon and after more honeywater I thought I was fighting a lost cause.

The sun came out and I put my Bee on the lawn with a pyrex dish over her…........I left a small gap where she could crawl out…............after a while she had obviously reached her temperature and came out and flew away. I couldn’t believe it I really thought she was a goner and I’m so pleased that it all worked out.

I’ll remember it for next time food and warmth

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

What a lovely happy ending !

Clive

Rank

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2013-07-05

PM

Paula - 28 June 2013 11:10 PM

I’ve just realised I never gave you the end of the story.

I kept the Bee for a total of 2 nights the second one in the greenhouse. By the next afternoon and after more honeywater I thought I was fighting a lost cause.

The sun came out and I put my Bee on the lawn with a pyrex dish over her…........I left a small gap where she could crawl out…............after a while she had obviously reached her temperature and came out and flew away. I couldn’t believe it I really thought she was a goner and I’m so pleased that it all worked out.

I’ll remember it for next time food and warmth

Aww,  Bless.  So glad the little bee made it.  I’ve noticed quite a lot of red tails working on the clover in the grass outside my work.

If I see one struggling, I now know what to do.  Thank you smile