Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Bumblebee Book is “BBC R4 Book of the week” 6th - 10th May - i.e. this coming week

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi All,

You might like to hear that BBC Radio 4 is serialising a Bumblebee Book next week.
Monday - Friday.

The book is “A Sting in the Tale” by Dave Goulson, who is the Professor who initiated BBCT.

I’ve managed to get myself a hard-copy of the book and have been thoroughly enjoying it !
It is a mix of autobiography (starting with childhood, when he was a Natural History mad boy) and goes right up to the decision to form BBCT and further.
Much of the book explains how Bumblebee Research is carried out and the people involved.
I’ve found it both fascinating; and also very amusing in parts.

The 15 minute programmes go out on BBC R4 at 9:45 am, repeated at 00:30 (half past midnight) from Monday to Friday. 
I presume we will also be able to back-listen to them via the BBC website at more convenient hours !

Clive

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 269

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Hi All,

I managed to hear all these broadcasts and found them very interesting.

I already had the book and have now managed to read it all.

As far as I could tell, the programmes were using Dave Goulson’s words verbatim, but were using sentences “stitched together” from many different places in the book so they told a coherent story but condensed and focussed on that programme’s theme.

Has anyone else heard the broadcasts ?
And have any comments ?

I’ve found the book very readable and interesting and funny in parts. 
It is certainly a good introduction to bumblebee know-how and some of the early days of BBCT itself.

Yours     Clive