Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → BeeWalk → Thread

Getting Started

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-05

PM

Hi

I attended a training course last Summer and am wanting to begin surveying for you now that Spring is finally arriving.  I am, however, struggling with the establishing a transect part first of all.  I had intended to use a circular route from my home and back again which takes in a part of the West Highland Way but I don’t know how to judge/find out if this is long enough.  I know the walk should take about an hour, presumably when not surveying, but that would depend on how fast I walk.  The planned route would also take in about 5 minutes either end of streets and houses with gardens (with plenty of bees) - is that ok?

Please advise smile

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2012-05-31

PM

Hello Brambling

that’s great to hear.
The easiest way to judge the length of the walk would be to look at an ordnance survey map.
The faint blue squares on both the 1:50000 and 1:250000 scale maps are 1 km squares.
So you can roughly judge the length of your route by counting how many squares it overlaps with.

To judge the exact length you would have to measure with a ruler or use the OS online system which does this for you automatically called getamap
http://www.getamap.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/

The one-hour is just for guidance (it could easily be shorter or longer) and it does mean walking at survey pace (strolling whilst observing and recording bee activity 2m either side of you) as the guideline length for the route is 1-2km.

Surveying streets with gardens at either end is fine and you will find the appropriate habitat and land use codes for these in the lists at the end of the BeeWalk Guidelines B document.
http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Resources/Bee walk/BeeWalk_Guidelines_B_How_to_establish_a_transect.pdf

kind regards, elaine

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-05

PM

Thank you, Elaine smile