Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

Wildflower lawn

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-05

PM

Hi,
    I’d like to create a wild flower lawn, only about 3m sq. How do I go about creating such a habitat and what would be the best mowing regime in order for all of the wild flowers to flourish?

Thanks. smile

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-01-30

PM

Scyther - 05 April 2013 10:51 AM

Hi,
    I’d like to create a wild flower lawn, only about 3m sq. How do I go about creating such a habitat and what would be the best mowing regime in order for all of the wild flowers to flourish?

Thanks. smile

Hi Scyther,

Do you mean an area you would manage as a meadow, ie: leave to grow up tall and flower over the summer ?  Or a low growing wildflower lawn that you would want to cut more regularly to keep it shorter ?

Thanks

Jo

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-05

PM

Hi Jo,
    Thanks for the reply. It is a low growing lawn I’m after, with nectar plants beneficial to bees.

Scyther

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-01-30

PM

Hi again Scyther - sorry for the very late reply on this, I lost track of which I’d replied to !  If you would like a low growing lawn then I would recommend a ‘flowering lawn’ mix - they are available from a number of seed suppliers such as Emorsgate Seeds. They contain species such as self heal, birds foot trefoil, red clover, cowslip and meadow buttercup that respond well to regular short mowing. These plants are all good for bees. The mix also contains grasses.  You should dig over the area to produce a fine, weed free seed bed and sow the seeds in autumn at 4 g/ m2 ( August/September ). It could take a few years to properly form a lawn, if there is excessive weed or grass growth in the first year then control with mowing - this will not harm the perennial wildflower species.  From the second year onwards you can mow regularly as a lawn but not too short (25-40mm). If you want to allow flowering then relax the mowing from late June onwards for 4 - 8 weeks.  If there are lots of cuttings when mowing then try to remove them from the area. Hope it works out ok and thanks for supporting the bees !  Thanks, Jo

Rank

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Hello Scyther,

you may this of interest…. http://bit.ly/19l9vOS

He now feels guilty if he mows his lawn…..!!

Cheers George