Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

How long can they hibernate?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

What a very interesting topic.  I particularly note Clive’s comment that Oilseed rape will not be in flower for a while yet.

I regret to report that the fields of this yellow peril at the bottom of my garden (south Oxfordshire) are now coming into flower.  I feel rather daunted trying to compete with several acres of the stuff by planting my small garden with as many and varied bee friendly plants as possible.  Even if I filled my garden with bee friendly plants that flower at the same time as rape I would be loosing the battle.

It makes me feel very sad.

However, it is a different story when I go to the allotment which has several areas of rough ground where comfrey and brambles are allowed to grow unhindered.

Sparrow - Sue

RankRank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2012-05-28

PM

Got our first tenant today, a wee Pratorum queen, seems to like the box and has started nesting straight away smile

Woo hoo!!!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2012-05-23

PM

Great news Bzzz.  Could you post a picture of where you have this box sited or a description please.

Sparrow - Sue

RankRank

Joined 2012-05-28

PM

The inhabited box is situated in between an old brick bbq (that we never use) and under a tree backing on to a fence. It is in a nice bit of shade away from direct sun and tucked away out of the wind (it’s VERY exposed up here as we are on a hill and by the coast).

We often see Queens looking down here for nesting sites so thought it’d be a good place to try!

She’s been in and out today but she spends a lot of time inside, I had a wee look later on tonight about 2030 and she was not happy! “bbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzzz!!!!” and then she shot back under the nesting material… looks like she’s protecting something! smile

Fingers crossed, if I can work out how to reduce the size of my photos below 300kb I’ll stick some on!

RankRank

Joined 2012-05-28

PM

Well there we go, our first sighting of wee bees from our nest! tiny wee things, didn’t want to annoy them too much on their first day but will have another look tomorrow. They’ve been out and about as has the queen, lovely busy wee things!