Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Transplanting Query.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

I have a lavendar plant in my front garden that is now too big for the spot it is in and would like to transplant it.

I know that old lavendars have massive roots that are impossible to dig up. This plant is in it’s third year and wondered if anyone else knows whether i could move it by hand, or will it’s roots be too big now?

Grateful for any advice on this, thanks all.

RankRank

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

I don’t think transplanting a lavender would be ideal. I think Lavender gets very woody after around 5 years anyway, and the general advice is to replace them when they do. You could however, take a few cuttings. It is a good time of year to do it as they will just about be finished flowering, and ready to prune. The cuttings grow really quickly, and you could keep them in a cold frame or cool but sheltered spot over winter and plant out next year.  That would be my suggestion anyway. I have a few different lavenders and you can keep their size in check by really hard pruning both after flowering and in spring when they start to grow, but once they go woody, there is no turning back, as you cannot cut into the old part of the plant really. Good luck with whatever you chose to do smile Here is a link for how to take cuttings.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-take-lavender-cuttings/176.html

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-29

PM

Hi Lougo,  thanks so much for the advice. I will certainly try taking cuttings and see what happens. Very much appreciated grin