Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Bumblebee discussion → Thread

Volunteer Training Day - Stimulating, well planned and enjoyable ! 

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

A few days back I took part in a BBCT Volunteer Training Day.
This one was on July 21st at the RSPB HQ at Sandy in Bedfordshire and had been organised by BBCT’s Dawn Ewing and Anthony McCluskey.

There was a large turnout.  We all enjoyed ourselves immensely.  It was well organised and very friendly.  Somehow Anthony even found us lots of bees to see ! 
.... and there was a lovely lunch too.

From my perspective it was very stimulating to be part of something where we all had a common interest in bumblebees.

I’m hoping to use the volunteering ideas ,and BBCT backup we were offered, over the coming months: and feel pretty sure that others from my group will be doing the same. 

Thank you to Dawn and Anthony for all their hard work at this session and those following. 
It was really good to meet them and to “knock Bumblebee sparks off” both them; and the other group members.

My apologies for taking so long to post this note, but life has been busy.

Clive

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Hi Clive, thanks for the kind words about this event. I had a great time at it, and was happy to see my first red-tailed cuckoo bee! The other events have been going well too, and it’s been so nice to finally meet so many of our volunteers. Thanks again for the honey!

RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

I was there too Clive, talking to your wife about flowers at the back smile

I had a very enjoyable day and felt like I learned so much

Thanks to everyone involved and I look forward to volunteering with the BBCT soon

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 271

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

Thanks Paula.

Yes, we had a memorable day with great company - despite never having met any of the others beforehand.
I managed to sneak a photo of Anthony hard at work in the garden, so have added it below !

.... and also a photo of the plant label & flowers of that Teucrium plant that was absolutely alive with BBS.

I must try to get some of it for the garden !

Clive

Image Attachments

CIMG0368_BBCT_Sandy_event_-_Anthony_hard_at_work.jpgCIMG0373_Teucrium_label_flowers.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2012-07-27

PM

Great photos Clive, can’t see me in the picture with Anthony I must’ve been in the second group.

That plant was amazing wasn’t it. I’ve looked into it and have discovered the name corresponds to two types of Wall Germander. One of them I already have in my garden and it’s not quite the Bee magnet the one at Sandy was so please beware when ordering any seeds smile

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

Hi Paula and Clive

Thanks for the photos Clive - great reminders of a lovely day out! The summer now seems so long ago. Thanks also for the info about the Teucrium plants Paula - it was an amazing sight to see a plant that was so attractive to BBs, so I’ll try to find out which is the best variety.