Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Welcome to BBCT Forum Home

You are here: HomeForum Home → Bumblebee forums → Gardening → Thread

Happy accidents!

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

I have maintained a busy wildlife garden for twenty years and by now, have most of the bee friendly plants. This May, however, an enormous Vipers Bugloss and a stand of Hesperis matrionalis appeared from the blue. I am so delighted to see Tree Bumblebee workers feasting on both plants.  No idea how the plants arrived, so suspect the bees are now bringing in their own seeds as a hint.

I’m also so happy to see the wonderful new site here and look forward to meeting other BB enthusiasts.
Despite the unpleasant weather in early Spring we saw several new queen buff tails and red tails dithering uncertainly among the crocuses.
I feel that planting for the earliest bees is important since this is usually a precarious time of year with little pollen on offer. Pussy Willow in large pots have been popular here; and I’m not above buying a large bouquet of exotics from the florist and placing it outside in a sturdy vase. They can’t resist a lily in March!

from Stachys

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-05-24

PM

This year I’ve planted up a small bed for the early bees. It has perennial Wallflowers, Aubretia,Bluebells, Hellebores, Anemone Blanda and Heather in. I also bought a weeping willow that they absolutely loved (covering themselves in pollen).

There’s fruit trees for March/April/May and just coming into flower now are Comfrey, Chives, Honeysuckle, Pulmonaria, Lamium and an early Hebe.

Trouble is there don’t seem to be many bees to enjoy them